How do I anticipate property utility bills?

Property Expert:
Stephen Ludlow
Q: How can I anticipate my potential utility bills to measure efficiency when considering a property to rent?

Pic: anticipate utility bills 

Stephen's Response:


Since October 2008 all home owners including landlords have been required, by law to produce an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to build, sell or rent their property.  This certificate provides an ‘A’ to ‘G’ rating of the property with ‘A’ being the most energy efficient and ‘G’ the least.

Tenants have every right to ask a potential landlord to view this document which features both current and potential energy performance levels. Unfortunately one key problem with an EPC document is that it may not have been updated. Tenants should ask potential landlords if any improvements have been made to their property since it was last inspected. Potential improvements could be –

  • Installation of an efficient boiler
  • Double glazing
  • Walls and roof insulation

Whilst considering a property energy efficient appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers do their small bit to minimise utility bills. 

Alternatively if the property has been previously tenanted ask for some examples of past utility bills for summer and winter periods. Tenants must keep in mind however possible differences in personal usage to previous tenants.

In an effort to make tenants utility bills smaller and moving less stressful, ludlowthompson have partnered with Spark Energy. As a company that caters specifically for the rental market Spark Energy’s USP’s include - 

  • A promise to match or even better previous utility bill quotes
  • Help organising utility bills throughout the moving process
  • Smart energy usage meters for all properties
  • Teams dedicated to the property rental markets unique requirements


Neither ludlowthompson nor their ‘experts’ take any responsibility for any action or loss incurred by readers of these pages. The reader acts on advice at their own risk. Answers to questions are not exhaustive. Financial advice must always be sought from a professional financial adviser.


    • Email to a Friend
    • Print
    • Renting

    Share this article:

    These links allow you to add this article to the popular social bookmarking sites where you can save and categorize a personal collection of pages and share them with others

    RSS Property Advice Feeds

    Use these property advice feeds to get the latest expert opinion in one place, as soon as its published.
    What are RSS Feeds?