I am renting for the first time - what details do I need to give the landlord for references?
Whether you decide to rent through an agency such as ludlowthompson ( Londons' Letting Agent) , or privately with a landlord, a credit check will need to be carried out and references taken.
As a minimum the following will be needed:
- Full name, date of birth, nationality
- address history for the last three years
- proof of address - utility bill or bank statement
- proof of photographic ID - passport, visa, driving licence etc
- income/occupation: details of your income sources, including employer / self employed status, benefits, pensions & any other financial support in place / student status
- your next of kin
- name of previous landlord / (s)
- money available for the deposit - usually approximately 6 weeks rent equivalent
- money for the first rental payment
- contact details of someone that can provide a character reference
- if you are not in full term work, or a student, ie. you cannot demonstrate you can afford the rent yourself, a guarantor will be necessary
At ludlowthompson it is possible to complete the above referencing process online, utilising our Veri-Check referencing provider to gather all your information and verify your references. You will be able to submit documents and complete your online application using your phone, laptop or pc anywhere / anytime to make the process as easy as possible to complete.
This may not be possible with all agencies / landlords so it is always worth having the hard copy documentation to hand.
You will also be required in all cases to provide the original copy of your ID , passport/ driving licence / visa when meeting your landlord or agent prior to agreeing a tenancy, this is a legal requirement under the Immigration Act ' Right to Rent'
5th June 2015
DISCLAIMER: Neither ludlowthompson nor their ‘experts’ take any responsibility for any action or loss incurred by readers of these pages. The reader acts on advice at their own risk. Answers to questions are not exhaustive. Financial advice must always be sought from a professional financial adviser
FREE & INSTANT PROPERTY VALUATION
IN JUST 60 SECONDS