What do I need to know to ensure I let a property properly to tenants
There are a lot of things to consider to ensure you are meeting the legislative requirements when letting out a property to tenants.
These will include:
- Ensuring the property is safe, for example through gas safety records, electrical safety, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, providing safe electrical equipment and services, water safety, and furniture safety
- Ensuring the property is prepared for let - cleaning, inventories, documents available to tenants
- Ensuring the process prior to let - finding and identifying the right tenant, referencing, tenancy agreements
- Types of tenants and tenancies
- Ensuring the deposit is managed properly, registered and tenant advised
- Redress schemes and selecting an Arla PropertyMark Agent
- Ending a Tenancy properly
The government provides a useful 'How to let' guide to assist current and prospective residential landlords in understanding their obligations with useful links and tips: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-let/how-to-let
If you are considering letting out your property the best place to start is with a property valuation. You can get an instant property valuation by applying for a ludlowthompson My Account, where you will get access to even further advice and guidence on the letting process.
13th July 2018
DISCLAIMER: Neither ludlowthompson nor their ‘experts’ take any responsibility for any action or loss incurred by readers of these pages. The reader acts on advice at their own risk. Answers to questions are not exhaustive. Financial advice must always be sought from a professional financial adviser
FREE & INSTANT PROPERTY VALUATION
IN JUST 60 SECONDS