Winter property health check
- 28th October 2007
- Property Tips
With winter weather on its way, now is the time to health check your property and cast an eye over your insurance policies.
Severe storms and strong wind have been forecast for the UK in November so Halifax Home Insurance is advising homeowners not too leave property maintain too late. Last year Halifax paid out over 18,000 weather related claims totalling £18m. Vicky Emmott from Halifax says: “With home emergencies, prevention is certainly better than the cure, and many claims could be avoided if householders spent a small amount of time preparing for the coming bad weather.”
Halifax suggests the following home health check:
• Check the roof for cracked or broken tiles and employ professionals to repair any damage
• Clear drainpipes and gutters to avoid flooding
• Check light fittings are secure, along with gates and outbuilding doors
• Have the boiler serviced once a year by a CORGI certified professional
• Ensure the thermostat is set to at least ten degrees to avoid pipers freezing
Following these few basic steps could save a lot of inconvenience and save money on next years insurance premiums.
With home emergencies, prevention is certainly better than the cure.
FREE & INSTANT PROPERTY VALUATION
IN JUST 60 SECONDS