How to make savings in the household
- 8th December 2008
- Property Tips
We all know that times are hard, and bills are rising, so there is no better time to look at what savings can be made with a few simple steps.
With the charity Citizens Advice reporting that more people are having problems paying their essential household bills, and new figures showing that mortgage arrears problems have risen in 2008, now is the time to get to grips with your bank statement.
- Unwanted Christmas presents could be sold on Ebay along with any treasures in the loft.
- Could your driveway or garage earn you cash? Consider renting the space.
- Check that you know what all direct debits and standing orders are for. Cancel that gym membership that hasn’t been used for a few years.
- Look at your energy payments and check on a comparison website like uswitch to see if you can get a better deal.
- Look at your telephone bill, there are a number of packages available that include line rental, broadband, and free calls evening and weekend. Some bundled packages can offer good value for money.
- Could you be getting a better rate of interest on your savings or switch to one of the new long term fixed rate mortgages - speak to a financial advisor/your bank to see what’s on offer.
- Check your home insurance policy, combining buildings and contents can often work out cheaper.
- Is your car insurance coming up for renewal? You might be able to get a better deal, or added value for money like road assistance included.
All of the above are common sense, but we often don't bother as they seem insignificant in terms of savings. However taken all together you could save yourself a few pounds and pennies. Now is the time for a spring clean of finances so you can still afford a pint or bottle of wine you so deserve!
FREE & INSTANT PROPERTY VALUATION
IN JUST 60 SECONDS