ludlowthompson brings communities together through annual Arts Festival in Stockwell
- 26th September 2018
- Our News
11-day festival in Stockwell invites local residents to celebrate music, poetry, the performing arts, and painting this October
The holidays might be over, but the summer feeling looks set to continue for Stockwell during the annual St Michael’s Arts Festival (SMAF) in the first two weeks of October, sponsored by ludlowthompson. We have always supported local initiatives that showcase the diversity and vibrancy of London’s communities – but this is the first time we have sponsored this kind of event in Stockwell.
The area of “Stockwell” originally got its name from a well by a tree stump – a lot has changed since 1197 when it was formed! It is now home to a diverse range of residents, from City professionals and entrepreneurs to artists and journalists. SMAF sets out to bring all members of the community together to celebrate the area’s creative talents.
If you’re thinking of moving to Stockwell or nearby surrounding areas such as Brixton, come along to SMAF. You will be able to see the community in full-swing as they support local artists and musicians. The festival caters to the whole family, and will include:
- Desert Island Hits: Simon Russell Beale, the current star of the National Theatre’s ‘Lehman Trilogy’, will provide readings and musical entertainment following a discussion with Adam Boulton, the political editor of Sky News;
- A comedy night with Edinburgh Fringe award winning comedians and Comic Opera by Saleri, the man who bullied Mozart in Amadeua: one performance will be for young people and one for adults;
- Paintings, photographs, and sculptures for sale plus an exhibition of the original photographs of the Rolling Stones’ ‘Beggars Banquet’ album art work;
- A classical concert with the Brixton Chamber Orchestra and the Medici Choir – Brahms Requiem and Elgar Cello Concerto;
- A book launch of The King’s War by Peter Conradi, Europe Editor of the Sunday Times and author of The King’s Speech;
- A Macbeth workshop for GCSE pupils and film workshops for aspiring young directors (8-18 years old)
ludlowthompson has a proud tradition of supporting local initiatives, including participating in community outreach to young people with learning difficultities and a children’s literacy charity, among many others.
Stephen Ludlow, Chairman at ludlowthompson, says: “Helping to make a difference to our local communities across London is something we always strive to do!”
“Stockwell is a truly diverse area, and one which people from all walks of life call home. SMAF will not only be an art exhibition, but an exhibition of the richness of the area and community itself.”
“Stockwell is an ideal place to call home, especially for professional couples who may work in different parts of London. The great transport network, including the Night Tube, makes it easy to commute to and from both the West End and the City.”
Henrietta Royle, Chairman of the St Michael’s Arts Festival, comments: “This is the most varied and exciting programme yet, with something for all tastes and age-groups. It is a real local effort with lots of volunteers making the festival happen.”
We would love to see you join us at the St Michael’s Arts Festival. You can find more details about the event here.
FREE & INSTANT PROPERTY VALUATION
IN JUST 60 SECONDS