Why it makes sense for landlords to carry out maintenance checks in winter
- 28th January 2021
- Landlord Property News
Regular checks reap returns throughout winter
Under most tenancy agreements, landlords are responsible for maintaining the structure of a property, fixtures, heating and hot water installations. During the winter period, property fixtures and installations often come under significant strain, as people use the heating more often and prolonged periods of cold weather can cause damage.
To avoid this, landlords should carry out regular maintenance checks to ensure their properties are in working order. Regular checks enable landlords to identify any problems early on, potentially saving money. By making sure that everything is in good condition, landlords will also have a better chance of retaining existing tenants for longer and attracting new renters too.
This should include the following:
- Air flows – Even during winter, it is important to allow fresh air to flow throughout the property to stop damp patches from appearing on walls. Bathrooms and kitchens are particularly vulnerable to damp. Making sure extractor fans are working properly and encouraging tenants to ventilate the property regularly will help eliminate damp.
- Gutters and drains – Leaves and other debris can easily block gutters and drains, which can cause leakages within properties. Checking and removing any debris on a regular basis can help avoid any unnecessary leakages and damage to the property from occurring.
- Heating and hot water – Verify that the hot water and heating is working properly throughout the property. Inspect the boiler and other heating appliances and check when they were last serviced. If there are any problems, arrange for a professional engineer to sort the problem out.
- Appliances – Ensure that all appliances, especially washing machines, dishwashers and ovens, are in good condition and work properly. Also check if they need cleaning or replacing. For gas appliances, an annual safety check should be conducted by a Gas Safe registered tradesman.
- Electric wiring – Check that all electric wiring is safe, correct and working. You should always arrange for a qualified electrician to check the electrics every 10 years.
- Furniture and furnishings – Double check that furniture and furnishings included within the property meet the Furniture and Furnishings Regulations.
Stephen Ludlow, Chairman at ludlowthompson says: “Winters can be a testing time for landlords, with their properties often put under significant strain due to extended periods of cold weather and heating systems being overused.”
“Carrying out regular routine checks beyond just statutory obligations can both retain existing tenants and attract new renters, thereby delivering higher total returns in the long run.”
“In such a competitive market Landlords should differentiate their property by undertaking regular repair and renewal and through their managing agent provide added service value by offering 24/7 Emergency Action helplines.”
Throughout the second lockdown, our experienced and dedicated property management team will be on hand to help with any maintenance issues, including providing emergency support 24/7. Find out more about our property management service here.
We received 653 5-star Google reviews in 2020.
6,580 positive AllAgent reviews – Top 5 Agent in the UK (2020).
ludlowthompson staff are measured by how our customers rate them via 1,000s of questionnaires.
Every single questionnaire is read by Stephen Ludlow and David Thompson.
Tom B via Google Reviews:
“I'm a fairly disorganised landlord, but LT have looked after me and thus my tenants for over 5 years now. They're good and trustworthy and get stuff done. Genuinely grateful to the LT team.”
Richard G via Google Reviews:
“So far a great experience as a first-time landlord with Ludlow Thompson. The team are a credit to the company. If the member of team who I usually dealt with was ever unavailable, I also felt they were supported by a team able to deal with my queries.”
Winters can be a testing time for landlords, with their properties often put under significant strain due to extended periods of cold weather and heating systems being overused
FREE & INSTANT PROPERTY VALUATION
IN JUST 60 SECONDS